JEE Advanced 2020 Notification – Dates, Eligibility & Application Procedure
Let us help you with your dream of “Indian Institutes of Technology”! Getting admission into country’s top most institutes requires clearing Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Mains, and Advanced.
Not all who clear JEE Mains get a chance to win JEE advanced! Eligibility criteria for appearing in JEE advanced requires candidates to rank among top within their corresponding categories. Sounds overwhelming? Don’t be. This article helps you prepare for India’s one among toughest, competitive exam – the JEE advanced.
About JEE Advanced 2020
- JEE Advanced is conducted by IITs under the Joint Admission Board (JAB) for admission into 23 of its institutes.
- The paper setting body constitutes of IIT professors and pattern and type of questions changes every year.
- Out of approximately 12 lakh people appearing for JEE Mains, only top 2.5 lakh candidates get eligible for JEE Advanced.
- The registration process is separate and is based on JEE Mains. The process begin only after the results of JEE Mains are released.
- Although the syllabus is almost the same for both the exams, the difficulty level of questions is relatively higher for JEE Advanced.
- Qualifying exam: Candidates must have cleared 12th standard or an equivalent exam from a government recognized boar
- Age limit: Candidates must have been born on or after October 1, 1995. A relaxation of 5 years will be provided for SC, ST, and PWD candidates
- Clearing JEE Main is the mandatory for appearing in JEE Advanced
- Number of attempts: Unlike JEE Mains, candidates are allowed to take this exam for only two consecutive times
Tentative dates are given below.
|Declaration of JEE (Main) 2020 Results|| By 31-01-2020 &|
|JEE (Advanced) 2020 Exam dates|| SUN, 17-05-2020|
Paper 1 : 09:00 – 12:00 IST
Paper 2 : 14:30 – 17:30 IST
|Declaration of JEE (Advanced) 2020 Results||MON, 08-06-2020|
|Tentative Start of Seat Allocation Process||WED, 17-06-2020|
Application Procedure for JEE Advanced 2020
The registration for JEE Advanced 2020 will begin in the first week of may, right after declaration of results of the JEE Mains. There is no offline mode for applying to JEE Advanced 2020. All the process is online and are listed below
- Registration: Aspirants will have to register for JEE Advanced 2020 with JEE main’s roll number and password
- Documents to be uploaded: Scanned soft copies of 10th standard marksheet and 12th standard marksheet, caste certificate are to uploaded
- Fee Payment: An offline payment can be made with State Bank of India’s e-challan. Online payments can be done with debit card/ credit card/ net banking
- Application Form: After successful submission of application form, don’t forget to download a copy of the same for future references
Here is the Paper Pattern for JEE Advanced 2020
Knowing the exam pattern helps you prepare well and strategies as well. Although the paper pattern is free for a pattern change, the following has been holding true for a while.
- There will be two compulsory papers of 3 hours duration each
- There will be 54 questions for each paper. Although, the total marks of the examination is not preset and is open for a change.
The two test papers will be conducted on the same day
- First paper from 9am to 12 pm
- Second paper from 2pm to 5 pm
The marking scheme will be different between the two papers and will be decided based on the paper
- Partial marks on answering one of many correct answers will be provided if a question contains more than one answer
- Questions may or may not have negative marking
- Computer based test
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) in physics, chemistry and mathematics
- Conducted in English and Hindi languages
- Computer based test
- Numerical type questions in physics, chemistry and mathematics
- Conducted in English and Hindi languages
Syllabus: In addition to 12th standard syllabus, the exams will have questions also from 11th standard
Prepare for Your Papers
The expected weightage for each section has been computed based on previous papers. A topic wise marginal change in weightage give below can be expected.
|JEE Advanced Chemistry Most Important Topic||Expected Marking Weightage|
|Inorganic Chemistry||36 Marks|
|Organic Chemistry||43 Marks|
|Physical Chemistry||43 Marks|
|JEE Advanced Mathematics Most Important Topic||Expected Marking Weightage|
|Matrix & Determinants||8 Marks|
|Coordinate Geometry||28 Marks|
|Derivatives, Differential||28 Marks|
|Integral Calculus||16 Marks|
|Complex Numbers||8 Marks|
|Quadratic Equation||8 Marks|
|JEE Advanced Physics Most Important Topic||Expected Marking Weightage|
|Modern Physics||23 Marks|
|Heat & Thermodynamics||16 Marks|
|SHM & Waves||8 Marks|
Some Useful books
In addition to NCERT books, this section lists some of helpful books for each of chemistry, physics and mathematics.
- Physical Chemistry by P.W. Atkins
- Physical Chemistry by OP Tandon
- The Modern Approach to Chemical Calculations by R.C. Mukherjee
- O.P. Tandon Organic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry by Paula Bruice Yurkanis
- Organic Chemistry by M.S. Chuahan
- Organic Chemistry by Morrison & Boyd
- J.D Lee’s Inorganic Chemistry
- O P Tandon Inorganic Chemistry
- Concepts of Physics by H C Verma (Vol-1 and Vol-2)
- Fundamentals of Physics by David Halliday/Resnick/Walker
- IIT JEE Physics by Arihant (35 years Chapterwise Solved Papers 2013-1979)
- Objective Mathematics By R.D. Sharma
- Plane Trigonometry and Coordinate Geometry (Two Books) by S.L Loney
- Integral Calculus for IIT-JEE by Amit M Agarwal (Arihant Publications)
- Hall and Knight Higher Algebra
- Differential Calculus for IIT-JEE by Amit M Agarwal (By Arihant Publications)
- A Text Book of Algebra For JEE Main & Advanced by Dr. SK Goyal (Arihant Publications)
Do you require Coaching?
The syllabus for the JEE Advanced 2020 will be the same as of 11th standard and 12th standard syllabus taught in schools. Remember, preparing for the board exams will make you revise the concepts and will make you better for JEE. Although coaching is not mandatory to clear JEE Mains and Advanced, taking some assistance always helps. With online mock test series, aspirants can work on the efficiency and time taken. Video lectures enables one to focus on concepts of importance and with a good history. Study Materials also enlists some quick shortcuts to solve difficult problems within s short span. Being proactive and open to suggestions from various field experts helps you stay ahead of your peers.
Tips for the Soul
JEE Preparation is a journey and cannot be achieved without keeping the spirits high. Here are amazing tips that will help you in staying focused and positive during the preparation.
- Plan your study
- Practice more problems
- Take utmost number of mock tests
- Suitable peer study groups also help
- Don’t keep things to do till the last moment
- Make short and crisp notes
- Revise the important formulae and equations
- Stay focused on topics only from syllabus
- Remember your mistakes and make conscious efforts not to repeat them
- Overconfidence leads to misery
- Long study hours with short breaks make the best combination for achieving the target
- Take ample rest, stay nutritive and hydrated
Words of Wisdom – IIT Toppers tips for JEE Advanced 2020
With passing years, the number of students appearing for JEE keeps increasing. In addition to preparation tips, ample coaching, good concepts and sufficient practices, one also needs hope and motivation. The IIT JEE toppers have shared their tips that will help you prepare in a best possible way.
Teachers are the Guides:
Sarvesh Mehtani, (All India Rank -1, 2017) talks about teachers being the real guide to cracking the exam.
Suraj Yadav, (All India Rank -5, 2017) advices the aspirants to be highly concentrating on the subjects they study.
Work hard with Zero Stress:
Devansh Garg, (All India Rank -19, 2017) believes that to be successful in JEE, the candidate should not only be working hard but should also be stress free.
Equally distributed time for all subjects:
Debaditya Paramanik, (All India Rank -38, 2017) suggests a time table equally distributing time to all the subjects.
Prepare for JEE Advanced 2020 with Mathongo
Start your preparations for JEE Advanced with all the help from Mathongo. Mathongo offers practice test series that could help you with scoring high in both JEE Mains and Advanced. They also offer a 30 days crash course to master with. Precise video lectures with focus on solving questions with a good history, tricks and shortcuts to solve tricky questions are also provided. Join the successfully running batches and catch your dreams with Mathongo.
Preparation for JEE Advanced 2020 requires an in-depth analysis of concepts and their applications. Cracking this one, demands both hard work and smart work. Also, don’t get derailed off the track by preparing from out of syllabus. We hope you stay a step ahead of your peers with this article! Go catch your dreams! We wish you a very best.